Johnny Owens BS, MPT is CEO and Director of Clinical Education for Owens Recovery Science, a corporation recognized in the INC 500. He manages a research portfolio of over 40 clinical trials being conducted worldwide primarily studying the effects of Blood Flow Restriction Rehabilitation in clinical populations.
He is the former Chief of Human Performance Optimization at the Center for the Intrepid (CFI) at San Antonio Military Medical Center and continues to serve as a consultant and clinical researcher at the CFI.
He completed his undergraduate course work in Biology at The University of Texas at Austin and earned his Masters in Physical Therapy at The University of Texas Medical Branch. He serves as a medical consultant for teams in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and collegiate sports. He is involved in numerous clinical trials involving regenerative medicine, sports medicine, blood flow restriction and high-energy trauma. Owens has been published extensively in the peer-reviewed literature, regularly speaks at the national and international level and his work has been featured on 60 Minutes, Time Magazine, NPR, Discovery Channel and ESPN.
Utilizing best practice in an ever-changing field can be dizzying and intimidating. Owens Recovery Science makes the evidence clear and teaches the practical application of the science. Since taking their course on Blood Flow Restriction Training, my practice has been permanently altered. I utilize BFR training on patients that range from post-operative to chronic inflammatory pain syndromes. My patients have been grateful, our referral list has grown, and my outcomes with different patient populations have generally improved.
- Return to Sport After ACL Reconstruction and Other Knee Operations. Noyes, F., Barber-Westin, S. Early Post-operative Role of Blood Flow Restriction Therapy to Avoid Muscle Atrophy. Patterson, S., Hughes, L., Owens, J. November 2019. Springer.
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Post-Operative Orthopedic Rehabilitation. Green, A, Hayda, R. Ankle and Pilon Fractures. Owens, J, Kirk, K. July 2017. Wolters Kluwer.
- Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation a Sports-Specific Approach. Bushbacher, R., Prahlow, N., Shashank, D. Injuries in Soccer. Grossart, E., Owens, J., Oct 2008. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Owens, Johnny G., Michelle R. Rauzi, Andrew Kittelson, Jeremy Graber, Michael J. Bade, Julia Johnson, and Dustin Nabhan. 2020. “How New Technology Is Improving Physical Therapy.” Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine, March. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12178-020-09610-6.
- Formiga, Magno F., Rebekah Fay, Savannah Hutchinson, Nicholas Locandro, Angel Ceballos, Alexandra Lesh, Joel Buscheck, Jacy Meanor, Johnny G. Owens, and Lawrence P. Cahalin. 2020. “Effect of Aerobic Exercise Training with and without Blood Flow Restriction on Aerobic Capacity in Healthy Young Adults: A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis.” International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 15 (2): 175–87.
- Patterson, Stephen, Luke Hughes, Stuart Warmington, Jamie Burr, Brendan Scott, Johnny Owens, Takashi Abe, et al. 2019. “BLOOD FLOW RESTRICTION EXERCISE POSITION STAND: Considerations of Methodology, Application and Safety.” Frontiers in Physiology 10: 533.
- Anderson, Ashley B., Johnny G. Owens, Stephen D. Patterson, Jonathan F. Dickens, and Lance E. LeClere. 2019. “Blood Flow Restriction Therapy: From Development to Applications.” Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review 27 (3): 119–23.
- Weatherholt, Alyssa M., William R. Vanwye, Jackie Lohmann, and Johnny G. Owens. 2019. “The Effect of Cuff Width for Determining Limb Occlusion Pressure: A Comparison of Blood Flow Restriction Devices.” International Journal of Exercise Science 12 (3): 136–43.
- Potter, Benjamin K., Robert G. Sheu, Daniel Stinner, John Fergason, Joseph R. Hsu, Kevin Kuhn, Johnny G. Owens, et al. 2018. “Multisite Evaluation of a Custom Energy-Storing Carbon Fiber Orthosis for Patients with Residual Disability After Lower-Limb Trauma.” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume 100 (20): 1781–89.
- Wong, M. L., Formiga, M. F., Owens, J., Asken, T., & Cahalin, L. P. (2018). Safety of blood flow restricted exercise in hypertension: a meta-analysis and systematic review with potential applications in orthopedic care. Techniques in Orthopaedics, 33(2), 80-88.
- Yow, Bobby G., David J. Tennent, Thomas C. Dowd, Jeremy P. Loenneke, and Johnny G. Owens. 2018. “Blood Flow Restriction Training After Achilles Tendon Rupture.” The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery: Official Publication of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, February. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jfas.2017.11.008.
- Mattocks, Kevin T., Matthew B. Jessee, J. Grant Mouser, Scott J. Dankel, Samuel L. Buckner, Zachary W. Bell, Johnny G. Owens, Takashi Abe, and Jeremy P. Loenneke. 2018. “The Application of Blood Flow Restriction: Lessons From the Laboratory.” Current Sports Medicine Reports 17 (4): 129–34.
- McEwen, James A., Johnny G. Owens, and Jeswin Jeyasurya. 2018. “Why Is It Crucial to Use Personalized Occlusion Pressures in Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) Rehabilitation?” Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, April. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40846-018-0397-7.
- Tennent, David J., Travis C. Burns, Anthony E. Johnson, Johnny G. Owens, and Christina M. Hylden. 2018. “Blood Flow Restriction Training for Postoperative Lower-Extremity Weakness: A Report of Three Cases.” Current Sports Medicine Reports 17 (4): 119–22.
- Wilken, Jason M., et al. "Physical Performance Limitations Following Severe Lower Extremity Trauma in Military Service Members." Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 2018 Jan.
- Hsu, Joseph R., Johnny G. Owens, Jennifer DeSanto, John R. Fergason, Kevin M. Kuhn, Benjamin K. Potter, Daniel J. Stinner, et al. 2017. “Patient Response to an Integrated Orthotic and Rehabilitation Initiative for Traumatic Injuries: The PRIORITI-MTF Study.” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 31 Suppl 1 (April): S56–62.
- Lynch, Andrew D., et al. "Current Concepts and Controversies in Rehabilitation After Surgery for Multiple Ligament Knee Injury." Current reviews in musculoskeletal medicine 10.3 (2017): 328-345.
- Tennent, David J., Christina M. Hylden, Anthony E. Johnson, Travis C. Burns, Jason M. Wilken, and Johnny G. Owens. 2017. “Blood Flow Restriction Training After Knee Arthroscopy: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Study.” Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine: Official Journal of the Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine 27 (3): 245–52.
- Blair, James A., Emmanuel D. Eisenstein, Sarah N. Pierrie, Wade Gordon, Johnny G. Owens, and Joseph R. Hsu. 2016. “Lower Extremity Limb Salvage: Lessons Learned From 14 Years at War.” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 30 Suppl 3 (October): S11–15.
- Sheean, Andrew J., David J. Tennent, Johnny G. Owens, Jason M. Wilken, Joseph R. Hsu, Daniel J. Stinner, and Skeletal Trauma Research Consortium (STReC). 2016. “Effect of Custom Orthosis and Rehabilitation Program on Outcomes Following Ankle and Subtalar Fusions.” Foot & Ankle International. / American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society [and] Swiss Foot and Ankle Society 37 (11): 1205–10.
- Crowell, Michael S., Gail D. Deyle, Johnny Owens, and Norman W. Gill. 2016. “Manual Physical Therapy Combined with High-Intensity Functional Rehabilitation for Severe Lower Extremity Musculoskeletal Injuries: A Case Series.” The Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy 24 (1): 34–44.
- Russell Esposito, Elizabeth, Harmony S. Choi, Johnny G. Owens, Ryan V. Blanck, and Jason M. Wilken. 2015. “Biomechanical Response to Ankle-Foot Orthosis Stiffness during Running.” Clinical Biomechanics 30 (10): 1125–32.
- Ortiz D; Owens JG; Hsu JR; Pyo J; Deben S; Blanck RV; Dromsky DM. Collaborative Establishment of an Integrated Orthotic and Rehabilitation Pathway. Jr of Surgical Orth Advances 24.3 (2014): 155-158.
- Sheean AJ, Owens J, Suttles S, Crossland BW, Stinner DJ. Return to duty after severe bilateral lower extremity trauma. J Spec Oper Med. 2015 Spring;15(1):1-6
- Corona, Benjamin T., Jessica C. Rivera, Johnny G. Owens, Joseph C. Wenke, and Christopher R. Rathbone. 2015. “Volumetric Muscle Loss Leads to Permanent Disability Following Extremity Trauma.” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development 52 (7): 785–92.
- Garg, K; Ward, C; Hartgen, B; Wilken, J; Stinner, D; Wenke, J; Owens, J; Corona, B. Volumetric muscle loss: persistent functional deficits beyond frank loss of tissue. J Orthop Res. 2015 Jan;33(1):40-6. doi: 10.1002/jor.22730. Epub 2014 Sep 18.
- Hylden, C; Burns, T; Stinner, D; Owens, J. Blood Flow Strengthening as a Rehabilitation Modality: A Case series. J Spec Oper Med. 2015 Spring;15(1):50-6.
- Blair, James A., Jeanne C. Patzkowski, Ryan V. Blanck, Johnny G. Owens, Joseph R. Hsu, and Skeletal Trauma Research Consortium (STReC). 2014. “Return to Duty after Integrated Orthotic and Rehabilitation Initiative.” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 28 (4): e70–74.
- Bedigrew, Katherine M., Jeanne C. Patzkowski, Jason M. Wilken, Johnny G. Owens, Ryan V. Blanck, Daniel J. Stinner, Kevin L. Kirk, Joseph R. Hsu, and Skeletal Trauma Research Consortium (STReC). 2014. “Can an Integrated Orthotic and Rehabilitation Program Decrease Pain and Improve Function after Lower Extremity Trauma?” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 472 (10): 3017–25.
- Owens, JG; Hsu JR; Blanck RV. Wounded Warriors: Dedicated Professionals Give the Injured Another Chance to Serve. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery-Journal of Orthopaedic Sports Physical Therapy Special Report: It Takes a Team. 2013 March
- Blair, J; Owens, J; Saucedo, J; Hsu, J. Functional rehabilitation with a foot plate modification for circular external fixation. Foot and Ankle International. 34(6):890-897, June 2013. Presented Podium: LLRS 2010. Presented Podium: SOMOS 2011
- Patzkowski JC, Owens JG, Blanck RV, Kirk KL, Hsu JR; Skeletal Trauma Research Consortium. Management of Posttraumatic Osteoarthritis with an Integrated Orthotic and Rehabilitation Initiative. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012;20 Suppl 1:S48-53. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-20-08-S48. Presented Podium: SOMOS 2011
- Patzkowski JC, Owens JG, Blanck RV, Kirk KL, Hsu JR; Skeletal Trauma Research Consortium (STReC). Deployment After Limb Salvage for High-Energy Lower Extremity Trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012 Aug;73(2 Suppl 1):S112-5. Presented Podium: SOMOS 2011
- Jeanne C Patzkowski, Ryan V Blanck, Johnny G Owens, Jason M Wilken, Kevin L Kirk, Joseph C Wenke, Joseph R Hsu and the Skeletal Trauma Research Consortium (STReC). Comparative Effect of Orthosis Design on Functional Performance. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2012 Mar 21;94(6):507-15. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.K.00254. Presented Poster: OTA 2011
- Johnny G. Owens, MPT, James A. Blair, MD, Jeanne C. Patzkowski, MD, Ryan V. Blanck, CPO, and Joseph R. Hsu, MD. Return to Running and Sports Participation after Limb Salvage. Journal of Trauma. Vol 71, 1 July Supplement 2011.
- Jeanne C. Patzkowski, MD, Ryan V. Blanck, CPO, Johnny G. Owens, MPT, JasonM. Wilken, PhD, MPT, James A. Blair, MD, and Joseph R. Hsu, MD. Can an Ankle-Foot Orthosis Change Hearts and Minds? Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances. Vol 20, #1, Spring 2011.
- Mase, V, Hsu, J, Wolf, S, Wenke, J, Baer, D, Owens, J, Badylak, S, Walters, T. Clinical Application of an ACellular Biologic Scaffold for Surgical Repair of a Large, Traumatic Muscle Defect of the Quadriceps Femoris Muscle: A Case Report. Orthopedics. July 2010. Presented Podium: 13th Annual Hilton Head Workshop, Regenerative Medicine, 2009.
- Owens, J. Physical Therapy of the Patient with Foot and ankle Injuries Sustained in Combat. Foot and Ankle Clinics. March 2010.