Do different pressures change LE blood flow?
December 11, 2019
Recently a paper was published in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise that investigated the effects of cuff pressures on blood flow into the LE at rest and during exercise. The conclusion drawn by the paper has some a bit puzzled, so the folks at Tourniquets.org wrote a response explaining why this conclusion may have been drawn. We've provided a bulleted summary below:
- Measurement of only the superficial femoral artery.
- The method used to measure "blood flow" actually measures "blood velocity", not volumetric blood flow into a limb.
- The cuff used provided non-uniform pressure.
- Only one pressure was studied during exercise.
Want to read the full blog? Click Here
Interested in reading the paper? Click Here
- Sorry it's not open access